To peel or not to peel- It IS a very interesting question
What do you think when you hear the words “skin peel”? If you are thinking of Samantha in Sex in the City – STOP! This is not necessarily the desired result (clinical endpoint) for all peels!
The word “peel” scares people as they often close their mind to the concept of the treatment before they even begin to consider it as a possibility. And understandably so – the word conjures the image of facial dandruff as its aftermath!
Facial dandruff is NOT the reality – unless you wish for it of course, as we can arrange for shed upon shedding, but there is no indication that this is better than a standard non-shed peel.
So why would you want to book in for a peel? Simple – let me ask you three questions:
- Are you craving flawless skin?
- Do you use results-driven homecare products and want to take your skin to the next level?
- Is your skin dreary and in need of a pick me up?
Or perhaps you have:
- Pigment issues
- Open pores
- Broken capillaries
- Sagging jawline
Oh yes, we have SO much to look forward to in life… Teasing! Ageing is inevitable but the rate at which we age aesthetically is NOT inevitable! A peel can assist to delay ageing as much as possible.
So what exactly is a peel? A peel is a short treatment involving the use of a chemical ingredient as the active element to channel or challenge the skin. Don’t be put off by the word “chemical” – remember that water is a chemical according to the periodic table (H2O), so a chemical is not necessarily a negative thing.
So what do peels do? Peels exfoliate the superficial layers of the skin. From the age of 25 onwards, we begin to age at a rapid rate. Our skin does not exfoliate as quickly as is needed for fresh skin, and so a peel is ideal to accelerate the exfoliation process and give the skin a much-needed helping hand!
I can’t speak on behalf of all peel companies and their philosophies, but with IMAGE Skincare we use not just one acid but we also seize the opportunity to pump in active ingredients while the skin is receptive. These include enzymes, detox complexes, lightening ingredients, hydrating benefits, vitamins and antioxidants, to name but a few! We also opt to include additional boosters in the peel, which can accelerate the results, limit the downtime or address the secondary concern as well as the primary!
It’s a win win!
Interested? So you should be. But first, please remember the 3 Ps as the golden rules of peeling:
- Pre-treat/prep the skin. Similar to running a marathon, the skin needs time to train, work out and become healthy, so you must consult a facialist to make sure the skin will acclimatise and adapt to the active peel. This process is essential and takes two weeks at home with a nightly regime.
- The peel itself – the skin will be exercised. Try and ensure that you DO NOT book in for the same peel each and every time! The skin becomes slightly resistant and bored of the same ingredient, so think outside the box
- The post treatment is vital – you will be advised what to avoid, what to use and how to treat the skin in the days after the peel. This guarantees the skin’s healing and the treatment’s success, eg applying SPF is key and is comparable to stretching the body post-workout
Take before and after pictures – become obsessed with your skin health!
“ Peels changed my skin, I love the way my skin feels and looks, peels allowed me to leave my house makeup free and no longer conscious of spots, brown marks and scarring”
Ais Kettle, Dublin.
Thanks again for all the support- happy peeling!